.

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Bloodlines Chapter Eighteen

WHAT DO YOU esteem MISSING? I asked.She was suppose to meet us a couple hours ago, Eddie state, exchanging glances with Micah. I ideal maybe she was with you.I invitent seen her since PE. I was nerve-wracking knock unwrap non to kick into panic mode yet. There were too galore(postnominal) variables at play and non enough proof to start ph mavining crazy Moroi dissidents had kidnapped her. This is a au whencecetic alto charmhery boastful place I mean, three campuses. Are you authoritative she isnt righteous holed up studying nigh(prenominal)place?Weve through a pretty exhaustive search, verbalize the guarantor off crosspatchr. And teachers and workers be on alert tone for her. No sightings yet.And she isnt answering her cell phone, added Eddie.I fin solelyy let true panic overtake me, and my font must have sh give birth it. The officers expression softened. Dont worry. Im sure shell turn up. It was the motley of conciliatory thing pot in his profession had to say to family members. except do you have whatever another(prenominal) judgments of where she might be?What nigh your other brothers? asked Micah.Id been afraid it would come to that. I was almost one hund rose-cheeked percent sure she wasnt with Keith, plainly he should still probably be notified close her disappearance. It wasnt something I looked forward to because I knew thered be a lecture in it for me. It would also be a sign of my failure in the look of other Alchemists. I should have stayed by Jills side. That was my job, right? Instead, Id foolishly been helping someone run errands. non plainly anyone a vampire. Thats how the Alchemists would see it. Vamp lover.I was solely with Adrian, I state slowly. I suppose she couldve somehow gotten to Clarences and checked for him. I didnt actually go inside.I tried Adrian too, said Eddie. No answer.Sorry, I said. We were doing his interviews, so he must have saturnine his phone off. Do you want to try him again? I sure enough didnt want to. Eddie stepped aside to call Adrian while I chew uped with Mrs. Weathers and the officer. Micah paced abtaboo, looking worried, and I snarl guilty for ever wanting to keep him from Jill. The race thing was a problem, notwithstanding he in reality did care rough her. I told the officer all the places Jill uniformd to frequent on campus. They confirmed that theyd already checked them all.You got ahold of him? I asked when Eddie returned.He nodded. Shes not there. I tactual sensation kind of naughtiness, though. Hes pretty worried now. Maybe we shouldve waited to tell him.No actually, it might be a good thing. I met Eddies look and saw a spark of understanding. Adrians emotions seemed to nuzzle on Jill when they were running strong. If he was panicked enough, shed hopefully realize people were concerned and show adventure up. That was assuming she was rightful(prenominal) hiding out or had gone somewhere we couldnt puzzle. I tried not to cons ider the alternative that something had happened where she couldnt contact us.Some dates students just canary yellow off, said the officer. Its inevitable. Usually they try to sneak corroborate in originally curfew. Hopefully thats just the case now. If she doesnt show up then well, then well call the police.He walked off to radio the rest of security for a status check, and we thanked him for his help. Mrs. Weathers returned to the front desk, tho it was clear she was worried and agitated. She came across as gruff somemagazines, but I had the feeling she actually cared nigh her students. Micah left us to find a few supporters of his who worked on campus, in case theyd seen anything.That left Eddie and me. Without conferring, we turned toward some chairs in the lobby. Like me, I think he wanted to stake out the ad complaint in order to see Jill the instant she showed up.I shouldnt have left her, he said.You had to, I said reasonably. You cant be with her in classes or her ag ency.This place was a bad idea. Its too big. Too hard to secure. He sighed. I cant accept this.No it was a good idea. Jill needs some semblance of a familiar life. You couldve locked her in a room somewhere and cut her off from all interaction, but what good would that do? She needs to go to school and be with people.She hasnt through with(p) much of that, though.No, I admitted. Shes had a rough time with it. I kept hoping itd shoot snap off.I just wanted her to be happy.Me too. I straightened up as something alarming hit me. You dont think you dont think she wouldve run away and gone back to her mom, do you? Or Court or somewhere?His shell grew even more than bleak. I hope not. Do you think things have been that bad?I thought almost our fight after the shower attendant. I dont bed. Maybe.Eddie buried his submit in his hands. I cant cogitate this, he repeated. I failed.When it came to Jill, Eddie was usually all fierceness and anger. Id never seen him so close to depress ion. Id been living with the worship of my own failure since coming to Palm Springs but plainly now realized that Eddie had just as much on the line. I recalled Adrians words about Eddie and his friend Mason, how Eddie felt responsible. If Jill didnt come back, would this be history repeating itself? Would she be someone else hed lost? Id thought this mission might be redemption for him. Instead, it could turn into Mason all over again.You didnt fail, I said. Youve been in shake of protecting her, and youve done that. You cant control her happiness. If anything, Im to blame. I gave her a lecture for the shower incident.Yeah, but I destruct her hopes when I told her the modeling idea downwind had wouldnt work. but you were right about lee(prenominal) I gasped. Thats it. Thats where she is. Shes with leeward, Im sure of it. Do you have his number?Eddie groaned. Im such an idiot, he said, taking out his cell phone and scan for the number. I shouldve thought of that.I touched t he cross nigh my neck, saying a silent prayer that this would all be solved easily. As long as it meant Jill was alive and well, I couldve handled her and downwind eloping.Hey, Lee? Its Eddie. Is Jill with you?There was a pause as Lee responded. Eddies body language answered the caput before I heard another word. His posture relaxed, and relief flooded his features.Okay, said Eddie a few moments later. Well, get her back here. at a time. Everyones looking for her. Another pause. Eddies face hardened. We can talk about that later. He disconnected and turned to me. Shes okay.thank God, I breathed. I stood up, only then realizing how tense Id been. Ill be right back.I anchor Mrs. Weathers and the security officer and relayed the news. The officer immediately spread the word to his colleagues and soon left. To my surprise, Mrs. Weathers almost looked resembling she was on the confines of tears.Are you okay? I asked.Yes, yes. She turned flustered, embarrassed at organism so emoti onal. I was just so worried. I I didnt want to say anything and scare you all, but every time a students missing well, a few years ago, another girl disappeared. We thought shed just sneaked off worry Matt said, it happens. But it turned out Mrs. Weathers grimaced and looked away. I shouldnt be telling you this.As if she could stop with that kind of intro. No, please. Tell me.She sighed. The police found her a couple days later dead. Shed been abducted and killed. It was terrible, and they never caught her killer. Now I just think of that whenever someone disappears. Its never happened again, of course. But something like that scars you.I could hypothecate so. And as I returned to Eddie, I thought about him and Mason again. It seemed like everyone was carrying baggage from past events. I certainly was. Now that Jills safety wasnt a concern, all I kept thinking was What will the Alchemists say? What will my buzz off say? Eddie was just hanging up his phone again when I approach ed.I called Micah to tell him everythings okay, he explained. He was really worried.All signs of Mrs. Weatherss past trauma vanished the instant that Jill and Lee walked through the door. Jill actually looked cheerful until she saw all of our faces. She came to a halt. Beside her, Lee already looked grim. I think he knew what was coming.Eddie and I zip forward but didnt have a chance to speak right away. Mrs. Weathers immediately demanded to know where theyd been. alternatively than cover it up, Jill confessed and told the truth she and Lee had gone off campus, into Palm Springs. She was careful to operate sure Lee didnt get accused of any kidnapping charges, swearing he didnt know she could only leave with approved family members. I confirmed this though Lee was hardly off the hook in my opinion.Will you wait outside? I asked him politely. Id like to speak to you privately later.Lee started to obey, flashing Jill a look of apology. He lightly brushed her hand in farewell and turned away. It was Mrs. Weathers who stopped him. Wait, she said, peering at him curiously. Do I know you?Lee looked startled. I dont think so. Ive never been here before.Theres something familiar about you, she insisted. Her frown deepened a few moments more. At last, she shrugged. It cant be. I must be mistaken. Lee nodded, met Jills eyes in sympathy again, and left.Mrs. Weathers wasnt done with Jill. She launched into a lecture about how dangerous and irresponsible theyd been. If you were expiration to sneak off and break rules, you couldve at least confided in your siblings. Theyve been scared to death for you. It was almost funny, her advising on responsible rule-breaking. Considering how panicked Id been, I couldnt find anything amusing just then. She also told Jill that shed be written up and punished. For now, said Mrs. Weathers, you are confined to your room for the rest of the night. Come see me after breakfast, and well find out if the principal thinks this warrants sus pension.Excuse me, said Eddie. hallow the sack we have a few minutes alone here with her before she goes up the stairs? Id like to talk to her.Mrs. Weathers hesitated, apparently wanting Jills punishment immediately enforced. then(prenominal) she gave Eddie a double take. The look on his face was hard and angry, and I think Mrs. Weathers knew there was punishment of a different sort coming from Jills big brother.Five minutes, said Mrs. Weathers, tapping her watch. Then up you go.Dont, said Jill, the instant we were alone. Her face was a mixture of fear and defiance. I know what I did was wrong. I dont need a lecture from you guys.Dont you? I asked. Because if you knew it was wrong, you wouldnt have done itJill crossed her arms over her chest. I had to get out of here. On my own terms. And not with you guys.The footnote rolled right off of me. It sounded young and petty. But to my surprise, Eddie actually looked hurt.Whats that supposed to mean? he asked.It federal agency that I just wanted to be away from this place without you always telling me what Im doing wrong. That was directed to me. And you saltation at every shadow. That, of course, was to Eddie.I just want to protect you, he said, looking hurt. Im not trying to smother you, but I cant have anything happen to you. non again.Im in more danger from laurel than any assassins Jill exclaimed. Do you know what she did today? We were working in the computer lab, and she accidentally tripped over my power cord. I lost half my work and didnt block up in time, so now Im going to get a lower grade.A lesson on backing up work probably wouldnt be useful just then. Look, thats really terrible, I said. But its not in the same category as getting yourself killed. Not by a long shot. Where exactly did you go?For a moment, she looked as though she wasnt going to give up the info. Finally, she said, Lee took me to Salton Sea. Seeing our blank looks, she added, Its a lake outside of town. It was wonderful. An a lmost-dreamy expression crossed her features. I havent been around that much water in so long. Then we went downtown and just walked around, shopping and eating ice cream. He took me to that boutique, with the designer whos looking for models and Jill, I interrupted. I dont care how awesome your day was. You scared us. Dont you get that?Lee shouldnt have done this, growled Eddie.Dont blame him, said Jill. I talked him into it I made him think you guys wouldnt wit. And he doesnt know the real reason Im here or the danger.Maybe dating was a bad idea, I muttered.Lees the best thing thats happened to me here she said angrily. I deserve to be able to go out and have fun like you guys.Fun? Thats kind of an exaggeration, I said, recalling my afternoon with Adrian.Jill needed a target for her frustration, and I won the honor. Doesnt seem like it to me. Youre always gone. And when you arent, you just tell me what Im doing wrong. Its like youre my mom.Id been wading through all of this cal mly, but suddenly, something about that comment made me snap. My finely tuned control shattered.You know what? I kind of feel that way too. Because as far as I can tell, I am the only one in this concourse behaving like an adult. You think Im out there having fun? All Im doing is babysitting you guys and cleaning up your messes. I spent my afternoon wasted my afternoon driving Adrian around so that he could blow off the interviews that I set up. Then I get here and have to clutch with the aftermath of your field trip. I get that Laurels a pain although maybe if Micah had been warned off from the beginning, these problems with her never wouldve happened. I directed that last comment at Eddie. I dont get why Im the only one who sees how solemn everything is. Vampire-human dating. Your lives on the line. These arent the kinds of things you can screw around with And yet somehow, you all still do. You leave me to do the hard stuff, to pick up after you and all the while, Ive got K eith and the other Alchemists breathing down my neck, waiting for me to screw up because no one trusts me since helping your pal Rose. You think this is fun? You want to live my life? Then do it. Step right up, and you start taking responsibility for a change.I hadnt yelled, but my pot had certainly gone up. Id pretty much delivered my speech without taking a breath and now paused for some oxygen.Eddie and Jill stared at me, wide-eyed, as though they didnt recognize me.Mrs. Weathers returned to us just then. Thats enough for tonight. You need to go upstair now, she told Jill.Jill nodded, still a petty(a) stunned, and hurried away without saying goodbye to any of us. Mrs. Weathers walked her to the stairs, and Eddie turned to me. His face was pale and solemn.Youre right, he said. I havent been pulling my share.I sighed, suddenly feeling exhausted. Youre not as bad as they are.He shook his head. Still. You might be right about Micah. Maybe hell keep some distance if I talk to him, a nd then Laurel will lay off Jill. Ill ask him tonight. But He frowned, choosing his words carefully. Try not to be too hard on Adrian and Jill. This is stressful for her, and sometimes I think a little of Adrians personality is leaking into her through the bond. Im sure thats why she ran off today. Its something hed do in her situation.No one forced her to do it, I said. Least of all Adrian. The fact that she coaxed Lee and didnt tell us shows that she knew it was wrong. Thats free will. And Adrian has no such excuses.Yeah but hes Adrian, said Eddie lamely. Sometimes I dont know how much of what he does is him and how much is spirit up.Spirit users can take antidepressants, cant they? If hes worried about it beseeming a problem, then he needs to step up and take charge. He has a choice. Hes not helpless. There are no victims here.Eddie studied me for several seconds. And I thought I had a raspy view on life.You have a harsh life, I corrected. But yours is built around the idea th at you always have to take care of other people. I was raised to believe thats necessary sometimes but that everyone still needs to try to take care of themselves.And yet here you are.Tell me about it. You want to come talk to Lee with me? All apology vanished from Eddies face. Yes, he said fiercely.We found Lee sitting on a bench outside, looking miserable. He jumped up when we approached. You guys, Im so sorry I shouldnt have done it. She just sounded so sad and so lost that I wanted to You know how protective we are of her, I said. How could you have not thought that this would worry us?And shes a minor, said Eddie. You cant just take her away and do whatever you want with herI admit, I was a little surprised that the threat to Jills virtue was what he chose to bring up. Dont get me wrong I was also advised of her age. But after he saw her literally die, it seemed like Eddie would be worried about more than making out.Lees gray eyes went wide. Nothing happened I would never do anything like that to her. I expect Id never take advantage of someone so trusting. I cant ruin this. She means more to me than any other girl Ive dated. I want us to be together forever.I thought being together forever was extreme at their ages, but there was a sincerity in his eyes that was touching. It still didnt excuse what hed done. He took our lecturing seriously and promised there would never be a repeat.But please can I still see her when youre around? Can we still do group things?Eddie and I exchanged glances. If shes even allowed to leave campus after this, I said. I really dont know whats going to happen.Lee left after a few more apologies, and Eddie also returned to his dorm. I was walking upstairs when my phone rang. Glancing down, I was startled to see my parents number in Salt Lake City on the breaky ID.Hello? I asked. For a frantic moment, I hoped it was Zoe.Sydney.My father. My stomach modify with dread.We need to talk about whats happened.Panic shot through m e. How had he found out about Jills disappearance already? Keith jumped out as the obvious culprit. But how had Keith found out? Had he been at Clarences when Eddie called Adrian? Despite his flaws, I couldnt venture Adrian telling Keith what had happened.Talk about what? I asked, playing for time.Your behavior. Keith called me last night, and I must say, Im very disappointed. determination night? This wasnt about Jills disappearance. So what was it about?Youre supposed to be coordinating efforts for that Moroi girl to blend in. You arent supposed to be out socializing with them and having a good time I could hardly believe it when Keith said you took them out bowling.It was mini-golf, and Keith okayed it I asked him first.And then I hear youre helping all these other vampires run errands and whatnot. Your vocation is only to the girl, and that is to do only whats necessary for her survival which I also hear you arent doing. Keith tells me there was an incident where you didnt pr operly handle her difficulties in the sun?I reported that immediately I cried. Id known Keith was provision to use that against me. Keith I paused, thinking about the best way to handle this. Misunderstood my initial report. Keith had pursy off my initial report, but telling my father his protege had lied would just put my fathers defenses up. He wouldnt believe me. And Keiths one to talk Hes always hanging out with Clarence and wont say why.Probably to make sure he remains stable. I understand the old man isnt all there.Hes obsessed with vampire hunters, I explained. He thinks there are mankind out there that killed his niece.Well, said my father, there are some humans out there who catch on to the vampire world, those whom we cant dissuade. Hardly hunters. Keiths doing his duty by enlightening Clarence. You, however, are misguided.Thats not a fair comparisonHonestly, I blame myself, he said. Somehow I doubted that. I shouldnt have let you go. You werent ready not after what you went through. Being with these vampires is confusing you. Thats why Im recalling you.What?If I had my way, itd be right now. Unfortunately, Zoe wont be ready for another two weeks. The Alchemists want her to undergo some testing before she gets her stain. Once she does, well send her in your place and get you some help.Dad This is crazy. Im doing fine here. Please, dont send Zoe Im sorry, Sydney, he said. Youve left me no choice. Please dont get into trouble in your remaining time.He disconnected, and I stood in the hall, my heart sinking. Two weeks Two weeks and they were sending Zoe. And me where were they sending me? I didnt want to think about it, but I knew. I needed to stop this from happening. Wheels were already in motion. The tattoos, I suddenly thought. If I could finish my tests on the stolen substances and find out info about the blood supplier, I would earn the Alchemists regard hopefully enough to take away the taint that Keith had put on me.And why had he done it? why now? I knew hed never wanted me along. Maybe he had just been biding his time, building up evidence against me until he could get me ousted in one fell swoop. I wouldnt let him, though. Id bust open this tattoo case and prove who the stellar Alchemist was. I had enough evidence now to get their attention and would barely turn in what I had if nothing new came to light within a week.The decision filled me with resolve, but I still had trouble sleeping when I went to bed later. My fathers threat hung over me, as did my fear of the reeducation centers.After about an hour of tossing and turning I finally dozed off. But even that was fitful and troubled. I woke up after only a few hours and then had to fall asleep all over again.This time, I dreamed.In the dream, I stood in Clarences living room. Everything was neat and in place, the dark forest and antique furniture giving the space its usual ominous feel. The details were surprisingly vivid, and it was like I could even smel l the dusty books and leather on the furniture.Huh. It worked. Wasnt sure if it would with a human.I spun around and found Adrian leaning against the wall. He hadnt been there a moment ago, and I had a flash of that childhood fear of vampires appearing out of nowhere. Then I remembered this was a dream, and these kinds of things happened.What werent you sure about? I asked.He gestured around him. If I could reach you. Bring you here into this dream. I didnt quite follow what he meant and said nothing. He arched an eyebrow. You dont know, do you? Where you are?At Clarences, I said reasonably. Well, in reality Im asleep in my bed. This is just a dream.Youre half right, he said. This is a spirit dream. This is real.I frowned. A spirit dream. Since most of our information about spirit was sketchy, we had hardly anything on spirit dreams. Id learned most of what I knew about them from Rose, who had been frequently visited by Adrian in them. According to her, the dreamer and the spirit us er were actually together, in a meeting of the minds, communicating across long distances. It was hard for me to fully grasp that, but Id seen Rose wake up with information she wouldnt have otherwise had. Still, I had no evidence to suggest I was really in a spirit dream now.This is just a regular dream, I countered.Are you sure? he asked. Look around. Concentrate. Doesnt it feel different? Like a dream but not like a dream. Not quite like real life either. Call it what you want, but the next time we see each other in the waking world, Ill be able to tell you exactly what happened here.I looked around the room, studying it as hed suggested. Again, I was struck by the vividness of even the smallest details. It certainly felt real, but dreams often did right? You usually never knew you were dreaming until you woke up. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to still my mind. And like that, I felt it. I understood what he meant. Not quite like a dream. Not quite like real life . My eyes flew open.Stop it, I cried, backing away from him. Make it end. Get me out of here.Because in accepting that this really was a spirit dream, Id had to acknowledge something else I was surrounded in vampire whoremaster. My mind was ensnared in it. I felt claustrophobic. The magic was pressing on me, crushing the air.Please. My congressman grew more and more frantic. Please let me go.Adrian straightened up, looking surprised. Whoa, Sage. unagitated down. Youre okay.No. Im not. I dont want this. I dont want the magic touching me.It wont hurt you, he said. Its nothing.Its wrong, I whispered. Adrian, stop it.He reached out a hand, like he might try to comfort me, and then thought better of it. It wont hurt you, he repeated. Just hear me out, and then Ill dissolve it. I promise. however in the dream, my pulse was racing. I wrapped my arms around myself and backed up against the wall, trying to make myself small. Okay, I whispered. Hurry.I just wanted to say He stuffed his han ds in his pockets and glanced away uncomfortably before looking at me again. Were his eyes greener here than in real life? Or was it just my imagination? I wanted to I wanted to apologize.For what? I asked. I couldnt process anything beyond my own terror.For what I did. You were right. I wasted your time and your work today.I forced my mind to dredge up memories from this afternoon. Thank you, I said simply.I dont know why I do these things, he added. I just cant help it.I was still terrified, still suffocating in the magic surrounding me. Somehow, I managed to echo my earlier conversation with Eddie.You can take control of yourself, I said. You arent a victim.Adrian had been gazing off, troubled by his thoughts. He suddenly jerked his gaze back to me. Just like Rose.What?Adrian held out his hand, and a thorny red rose suddenly materialized there. I gasped and tried to back up farther. He twirled the stem around, careful not to prick his fingers.She said that. That I was playing the victim. Am I really that pathetic?The rose wilted and crumpled before my eyes, turning to dust and then vanishing altogether. I made the sign against evil on my shoulder and tried to remember what we were talking about.Pathetics not the word Id use, I said.What word would you use?My mind was blanking. I dont know. Confused?He smiled. Thats an understatement.Ill check a dictionary when I wake up and get back to you. Can you please end this?The smile faded to an expression of amazement. You really are that scared, arent you? I let my silence answer for me. Okay, one more thing, then. I thought of another way I can get out of Clarences and get some money. I was reading about college and financial aid. If I took classes somewhere, do you think I could get enough to live on?This was a concrete question I could deal with. Its possible. But I think its too late. Classes have started everywhere.I found a place on the internet. Carlton. A college on the other side of town that hasnt starte d yet. But Id still have to act fast, and thats what I dont know how to do. The paperwork. The procedures. But thats your specialty, right?Sad but true, I said. Some part of me thought Carlton sounded familiar, but I couldnt place it.He took a deep breath. Will you help me? I know its making you babysit again, but I dont know where to start. I promise Ill meet you halfway, though. Tell me what I need to do, and I will.Babysit. Hed been talking to Jill or Eddie or both. That was reasonable, though. Hed want to know that she was okay. I could only imagine how my tirade had been paraphrased.You were in college before, I said, recalling his record. Id scoured it when putting together the ill-fated resume. You dropped out.Adrian nodded. I did.How do I know you wont this time? How do I know you arent just wasting my time again?You dont know, Sage, he admitted. And I dont blame you. All I can ask is that you give me another chance. That you try to believe me when I say Ill follow through. That you believe Im serious. That you trust me.Long moments stretched out between us. Id relaxed slightly, without even realizing it, though I remained up against the wall. I studied him, wishing I was better at reading people. His eyes were that green in real life, I decided. I just usually didnt look at them so closely.Okay, I said. I trust you.Total shock filled his features. You do?I was no better at reading people than I had been ten seconds ago, but in that moment, I suddenly gained a flash of understanding into the mystery that was Adrian Ivashkov. People didnt believe in him very often. They had low expectations of him, so he did as well. Even Eddie had sort of written him off Hes Adrian. As though there was nothing to be done for it.I also suddenly realized that, as unlikely as it seemed, Adrian and I had a lot in common. Both of us were constantly boxed in by others expectations. It didnt matter that people expected everything of me and nothing of him. We were still the sa me, both of us constantly trying to break out of the lines that others had delimitate for us and be our own person. Adrian Ivashkov flippant, vampire party boy was more like me than anyone else I knew. The thought was so startling that I couldnt even answer him right away.I do, I said at last. Ill help you. I shivered. The fear of the dream returned, and I just wanted this to be over. I wouldve agree to anything to be back in my non-magical bed. But not here. Please will you send me back? Or end this? Or whatever it is?He nodded slowly, still looking stunned. The room began to fade, its colors and lines melting like a painting left in the rain. Soon, all dimmed to black, and I found myself waking up in my dorm room bed. As I did, I just barely caught the sound of his voice in my mindThank you, Sage.

No comments:

Post a Comment